One of the most frequent questions we’re asked as web developers is, “How much does a website cost?” Funny enough, it’s not this question that’s hard to answer, it’s the response to the second question: “Why so much?“
It usually takes at least a few seconds for potential clients to get over the initial shock when we throw out a price tag of R15 000. And then comes question number three.
“For a website?!“
Yes, at first, R15 000 seems like a lot of money for a website, but I guarantee you it’s a steal. The truth is, whether you pay R10 000 or R30 000, websites are affordable at any cost.
You’re thinking about this the wrong way. Cost is not important — it’s the value of a website that really means something. Here’s an analogy to help everyone grasp the value of a website.
YOUR WEBSITE IS YOUR EMPLOYEE
Imagine that you have just hired a new salesman named John. Here’s everything you need to know about John:
- John works 24/7, 365 days a year. He never sleeps, never eats. His only purpose in life is to talk to your customers and promote your business.
- John is the perfect salesman. He knows everything about the company like the back of his hand, and can pitch it perfectly every time.
- John talks to hundreds of people every day. He can talk to them all at once and still give everybody one-on-one attention.
- John travels well. He can be anywhere in the world at any time, and multiple places at once if he needs to be. Best of all, he files no expense reports.
- John learns quickly. You’ll only have to tell him once. For example, with just a couple of days of training he can learn to speak any language.
And now for the best part.
- John is cheap. I mean, really cheap. Let’s assume your company employs John for two years — that initial R15 000 price tag comes out to a measly salary of R7500.00/year. And the longer you work together, the cheaper he gets. And he’ll never quit! Bonus!
John would be better off working at KFC wouldn’t he? You pay this poor man way below minimum wage, don’t you? Yet he stands under your boot and works tirelessly around the clock for just one cause: your cause.
I can see it in your eyes. You kind of feel sorry for John now, don’t you?
That is because you’re crazy! John has no feelings, he’s not a real person. He’s a website. He’s your website.
Now go out and try to find an actual person that will work that perfectly for 7 500 bucks a year.
So, do want to take another look at that quote?
From your perspective, it shouldn’t matter. Even a R30 000.00 website is a steal because its value is exponentially greater than its price tag.